Don't be intimidated by the volume of ingredients in the couscous. It's easy to simplify, but if you've got the time, particularly in the holidays, encourage the kids to attempt this recipe. Take the time to smell each ingredient as it is prepared. That's where the learning comes in. The marinade on the Chicken Wings is delicious.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2kg chicken wings
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp lemon zest
- 300g couscous
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red, green, or yellow capsicum,
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 cup raisins
- Zest of one orange
- 2 tins chickpeas
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Hummus to serve
Chicken Wing Marinade
- Toast the cinnamon, pepper, coriander, cumin, cloves and cardamom in a frypan over medium-high heat until very fragrant – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cool and transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir in paprika, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper flakes, oil and lemon juice.
- Place marinade in large snap lock bag and seal.
- Using kitchen scissors cut the wing tips off chicken and halve wings at joint.
- Combine wings with marinade in a plastic bag and rub through the chicken wings to ensure they are well coated.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 230c.
- Place wings on a large, lined oven tray.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Increase heat to grill. Cook wings under grill for 10 minutes or until skin is crisp.
- Grate the zest of one lemon (be careful not to zest the white as it’s bitter)
- Measure and add water, oil, lemon zest, cumin and a pinch of salt to a large saucepan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Measure and add the couscous.
- Remove from the heat, cover and stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Place a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Measure and stir in the cumin, ginger, cloves, cayenne, cardamom, coriander, and allspice and gently toast until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut the onion in half and then thinly slice the onion.
- Cut the capsicum in half, remove the seeds and centre and cut into small diced pieces.
- Cut the zucchini in half and then chop into small, diced pieces.
- Stir in oil and onion and cook until softened.
- Stir in the capsicum and zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins, salt, lemon zest, and chickpeas.
- Measure and pour in the chicken stock and orange juice.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- When the mixture is boiling, stir in the couscous and remove from heat and cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and fold in chopped mint.
Serve the chicken wings on a platter with the couscous. If desired, serve with a side of hummus